Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Jam Adventure

Today I have the day off, so what did I do with all my spare time? Did I craft, sew, or scrapbook? Guess again....

Every once in a while I decide that being domestic can't be that hard afterall...and I try again.

Today I decided to make my Grandma Gene's famous homemade rolls and strawberry jam. I started the rolls around 10 am. I waited 'til they were rising in the bowl the second time and started to cut up the strawberries. At this point I was feeling pretty good about myself. I've successfully made the rolls before and I've seen the jam made about a million times, so I'm good, right? Think again.

Everything went smoothly until I was stirring my boiling jam in the pan and I see floating black chunks...yep, you're right...my spoon melted. So while I was feverishly trying to fish out the black chunks, it's time to start the timed boil.

I finally decide that we and whoever, if anyone, that we share this with will just have to look out for the chunks.

At last my poor little burnt fingers have the last ring screwed on, and I notice something...what did I notice? THIS IS WHAT I NOTICE:


I have never seen, let alone made a mess this big...

There is jam in all the usual places like stove, counter, etc...but there is also jam in many unexpected places like floor, fridge (splatter) and me. Not a pretty sight.

So this is my final product. Eight itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny half-pints of strawberry jam, complete with melted spoon chunks.

Was it worth it? I don't know, I haven't tasted it. Will it even set up? Only time will tell. Will I make this again? Ask me next week.

Meanwhile...the rolls are going great. Wouldn't Grandma be proud?

8 More things to read:

Lucashell said...

mmmm.... How did the bread turn out they looked good! I want one! I can promise I am never making jam, but I love homemade jam it is the best!

Anisa said...

Being domestic isn't all it's cracked up to be... I made homemade french bread yesterday. I asked Ryan if it was better than the store stuff and he said... wait a minute, I can't seem to figure out how to spell the noise he made when I asked him. I got the general idea that it wasn't much better. And the mess you have to clean up!

Moe said...

The rolls look really good! I'm so proud of your home-making skills! I wouldn't have even tried to make jam, and it looks good. Even if it doesn't taste good :)

The York's said...

Thats why I don't make stuff, I don't want to clean up the mess! But your jam looks so yummy!!

Lib-Dawg said...

You domestic DIVA you! Looks yummy...you should give some of that jam away...to family???

The Busey Family said...

Oh man Sydney...I am laughing out loud. That is hilarious but sad. That my friend is why I don't even try. Good job.

Kim said...

Too funny Sydney! Scott & I tried to make strawberry jam 13 years ago and have never tried again :o)

Alex said...

Hey Sydney! I saw this job opening and thought of you. Its for the Success Academy which is a program that allows gifted high school students attend college, I think... Anyways here is the position.

The Success Academy is accepting applications for two positions. Academic Advisor – Bachelor degree required - $26,000-32,00 with benefits. (Two positions one on DSC campus and one at SUU.

High School Registrar – secretarial, office management, student records – high school diploma required - $13.18/hour full-time with benefits. Both positions close on Friday, May 15. To apply go to www.successacademy.org

The position says full time, but maybe they can work with your schedule?