It was Valentine’s Day and I was feeling that I needed to surprise Logan with something, since we had (by Logan’s idea) given each other our Valentines on the 12th. A few days before, we had been flipping through the cookbook just looking for things that we might make someday. We came across this cake and Logan thought that it looked great. So it was the morning of Valentine’s Day and this cake popped into my mind, and I decided that I would make it.
Now let me tell you a little about this cake. It is a very “fancy” cake. It has real strawberries in the batter and the frosting involves cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. This might not be a fancy cake to you, but I have never even considered making a cake this complex. So I did.
I am notoriously known for screwing up my surprises for Logan, but this one turned out perfect! I knew this because I had tasted the batter, which was yummy and the frosting was to die for. I was so incredibly proud of myself. It was not burned on the edges, and even more importantly, it was not gooey in the middle. So I wait anxiously for Logan to get home.
Logan got home and I was all excited about the cake (Oh when will I ever learn?!?!). He was like, “It’s a cake.” He was not impressed at all! I really don’t know why I still expect him to be happy, he never is happy when I surprise him. This, as usual, induced tears on my part at a later hour. But he did do better than last time by actually eating a piece of cake (there was a nasty little incident involving mint brownies a few months ago).
He acted alright about it. He tried to act like he liked it. Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to vilify Logan, because I actually decided to taste my masterpiece the next day, and it really isn’t that good, which makes me really mad because I spent so much time making it just right, and a few tears over him hating it, and the stupid cake was SO not worth it. I am hoping that by making this story public, I will be less likely to repeat it with another unwanted, and disappointing dessert.
I am notoriously known for screwing up my surprises for Logan, but this one turned out perfect! I knew this because I had tasted the batter, which was yummy and the frosting was to die for. I was so incredibly proud of myself. It was not burned on the edges, and even more importantly, it was not gooey in the middle. So I wait anxiously for Logan to get home.
Logan got home and I was all excited about the cake (Oh when will I ever learn?!?!). He was like, “It’s a cake.” He was not impressed at all! I really don’t know why I still expect him to be happy, he never is happy when I surprise him. This, as usual, induced tears on my part at a later hour. But he did do better than last time by actually eating a piece of cake (there was a nasty little incident involving mint brownies a few months ago).
He acted alright about it. He tried to act like he liked it. Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to vilify Logan, because I actually decided to taste my masterpiece the next day, and it really isn’t that good, which makes me really mad because I spent so much time making it just right, and a few tears over him hating it, and the stupid cake was SO not worth it. I am hoping that by making this story public, I will be less likely to repeat it with another unwanted, and disappointing dessert.
7 More things to read:
I'm so sad that the cake didn't taste good at all! It sounds really good. Sydney, I know how you feel - i easily get my feelings hurt and do the crying thing and then realize the next day...why did I get so upset. It usually just ends up being that time of the month, but still! Possibly it's a girl thing - it just has to be???
Sydney, the women that have cried when they have slaved over a hot stove just to have their husbands not even notice what they're eating or give a compliment about it, well, their tears would fill a hundred oceans. Now you are a member of that great club!
So sorry that it was one of my sons that made you a member.
Now don't take this the wrong way - But Debbie didn't teach her sons tact - Because of that Lucas made me a hard A** when it comes to cooking (I don't cry anymore if he doesn't like it). If it is crap don't make it again-But you do get an A for Effort, don't give up their are recipes you will be great at and some you will suck at..Just keep practicing..
Shell
Trust me, you will never be able to please Logan with food. He is the most picky person ever!!!
And just so you know, I spent pretty much the first year of our marriage crying over everything. It gets better. Now I just cry when I'm pregnant.
Anisa - you cry??? Are you serious?
Libby you need to stop sharing stories about that time of month with everyone.
Lucas
Post a Comment