Thursday, June 14, 2012

Family Camping Trip

I just realized that we never blogged about our family camping trip to Lower Bowns Reservoir.  Logan has many fond childhood memories of this place and the old camper.  This is the first year the Blake family has had a big camp out since the one we went on when we were engaged.  So the Friday before Memorial day weekend we drove up to my Mom's house and spent the night.  My sister had to have emergency hernia surgery late that night so that was interesting.  The next morning we got up and had to shop all over for some maternity pants (because I'm an idiot and forgot to bring pants).  We finally found some at Walmart which I actually like a lot.  Anyway, we got up to Lower Bowns and everyone who was there so far (Ron and Anisa's family drove up the night before) were huddled in Ron's new fifth wheel since the weather was cold and windy.  Ron was fishing because everyone knows that sucky weather is ideal fishing weather.  A couple of funny things happened that day before everyone else got there.  Apparently Ron has a "fish pan".  It's the only pan you need on a camping trip (or so I've heard).  Anisa was just getting lunch started and had a grilled cheese sandwich in the "fish pan" and Ron comes back from fishing and plops a fish in the pan right next to our grilled cheeses.  We panicked (of course) but I got one of the first sandwiches so it wasn't fishy.  I heard the other one's were questionable however:)

Since the weather was so bad we decided to go for a ride in the Escape.  This poor Escape has really been put to the test by Logan time and time again.  It's basically just a car with better clearance, but Logan forces it to be an SUV.  As we were driving down this "Tantulas" road (Logan will have to correct me if I am wrong with that name) I was speculating what our car thinks of this.  Does it like that we don't let it's limitation hold it back? Or does it feel abused by us making it do things it hasn't been designed to do?  I'm weird I know:)  But seriously, 2 trips down the Hole in the Rock road, 2 trips to Tuweap, one almost to the top of Utah Hill, and now this back road into Capital Reef National Park?  That poor car!

So we were driving along this road that was pretty rough.  We go for a couple miles and we get to this really awesome place (presumably this is Tantulas?) where the road goes down into this stream bed that is green and beautiful.


 And we keep going because the goal is to make it into Capital Reef the back way and then take the highway around back to the camp site.  Then we get to this big hill that we have to back over.  I'm thinking, "Hmm.  The more obstacles we get past the more we have to get back over when we finally have to turn around when we get so something we CAN'T get over."  But we persevere.  Then we meet that obstacle.  And we pop a tire.  Yep, it's windy, freezing, blowing sand and in BFE and we pop a tire. 

Yes, lovely picture of me putting a coat on.

So we back down to a level-ish place.  We get out of the car and change a tire.  But we have to change 2 because we popped a front tire and we really need good front tires if we are going to get out of this place.  We're not worried by this point.  We have water, a tent and all our camping gear.  Ron knows where we are and we're not going to starve if we can't get out.  But with faith and a little elbow grease Logan changes the tires (I assisted, I promise).  We pray to get out of here and we are off.  It was a fairly uneventful ride back to camp.  But then the fun of trying to find a tire in Wayne County on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend begins.  We really don't want to drive 50 MPH all the way back to St. George on Monday.  Anywho, long story a bit shorter we finally found one in Loa.  Then we freeze to death in our tent that night, and a little less the next night.  And we hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls on Monday and nearly roast to death:)

And drive home through Escalante and Zion.  What an eventful weekend.  We seem to have bad car luck on Memorial Day (as we were stranded in Beaver with the Saturn a couple years back).  But that's how you make memories I guess:)

1 More things to read:

Moe said...

Your belly is so cute!!