We did it! Craig Degen, his son Jahmal Degen, Cash Williams and I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim via the North Kaibab and the Bright Angel Trails. We left St. George at 5:00am* and drove to the North Rim and arrived about 8:00am. Walked over to the Lodge and looked
This stretch of the trail is heavily used by mules so it is very dusty and covered in manure. It was like walking in one of Dad's corrals for a mile and a half, yuck! After that the trail was mostly foot traffic and very nice. We walked to Roaring Springs and took the .5 mile misleading side trail to Roaring Springs. I thought you could actually hike to the bottom of the big spring, but it only went to a potty and a water spigot.
Kept on going down, stopped at the Pump House Residence for lunch then we saw the section of trail that was washed out from the water line break. This could have ruined our trip apparently, but it didn't so off we went. Passed the cotton wood campground, where most people stop for the day, but we were doing it in two. This campground is not bad, but some spots have no shade. Then we hit the .5 mile round trip side hike to Ribbon Falls, this is one of the highlights of this trip very cool makes the trip worth it.
We got to the falls about 12:30pm* and hung out there about an hour. I left my bag next to Craig's and walked up around the falls. I got back and a squirrel had chewed through my camelbak hose right where it comes out of the bag. Very annoying! I had to move the mouth piece to the new end and leave it inside my bag and take my bag clear off to drink. On a good note my new Marmot pack I got on clearance kept my water cold the whole 1st day. I got brain freezes while hiking in "The Box" at 4:00*. After Ribbon falls we hiked the last 6 miles starting about 1:30* and got to Phantom Ranch at 4:30*. So without counting stops it took us 7 hours of hiking to make to the bottom. We hung out at the camp ground and put our feet in the creek, had dinner, then Craig and I walked back to the ranch to call our wives.
I wanted a T-shirt but the ranch had funny hours and the store was closed from 4-8pm** and we were there at 5:30**. So we had to kill time till 9:00*. Craig and I decided to walk the 1.5 mile river loop over the 2 bridges. It was cool we got to see the river in the day light and watch a life flight helicopter land,
and see the left over medical supplies where a person collapsed after hiking down the South Kaibab Trail in late after noon. It was rumored the person died, but I'm not sure. It was awhile before the helicopter took off, but we got to see that too. We made it back to camp and still had to wait a little but I got my T-shirt, Craig got his cold lemon-aide, and Cash and I sent post cards by mule. The next morning after a horrible nights sleep Craig woke us up at 4:00am* and we got on the trail about 4:45*. We hiked by head lamp along the river and half way up the devils cork screw.
We made it out of the inner gorge and to Indian Garden camp ground 7:30* which is half way on the Bright Angel Trail. Ate a good breakfast of freeze dried eggs and sausage and left just after 8:00*. We spent the next 3 hours climbing out of that hole. Stopped for water and breaks at the 2 rest houses and passed lots of people and 2 mule trains walking down the trail.
We made it to the top about 11:30am* so in approximatley 6 hours we hiked 9.5 miles and ascended 4380 feet.
We found a nice shady spot on some grass at the Bright Angel Lodge and layed there. Sydney walked through the lodge about the same time we did.
It was a great trip sore knees, sore muscles, blisters and all I would do it again. Craig and I with side hikes ended up with 27 miles in 2 days below the rim of the Canyon.
(*Utah Time)
(**Arizona Time)
2 More things to read:
Awesome!!!! Looks like it was a memory maker!!
The pics from this trip; Craig made into a slideshow that we all sat to watch on the big t.v - it was SO WORTH IT! It looked like a TONNE of fun - & you all inspired me. I'm going to bugg Craig into letting me do the Subway (which he's wanted to do for EVER, but due to sickness & other stuff, I couldn't.) This is my (other) goal for the summer. Be well enough, & in shape enough to do the Subway, conquer Angels landing AND - do the Rim to Rim next summer with our family! It looks AMAZING & is all the boys could talk about for dayyyys!
#Excitement!!
Post a Comment