Monday, August 17, 2009

Trip to the Mesas

To celebrate our 2nd Anniversary we took an extended vacation to Moab, through Arches National Park; to the middle of no where, through Natural Bridges National Monument; to Cortez, through Mesa Verde National Park; to Durango, through countless whitewater rafting stores; to a bunch of little towns, through a 12,000 foot mountain pass; and finally to Grand Junction, and home.We had both been to Arches before, but never before hiked to Delicate Arch. It is so awesome and totally worth the 3 mile hike.

This one is at the Natural Bridges National Monument. This bridge is named Sipapu. That is one word we heard about a bazillion times at Mesa Verde...Anyway, click to enlarge this image and look for a little white spot which is Logan. I didn't go to the bottom, it's not cuz I couldn't make it, but because of the photo opportunity. I did, however, almost die coming back up out of there.
This is me coming up a ladder at Mesa Verde National Park. I've come a long way since this. We did all three ranger guided tours and had a BLAST!!! This is actually one of the small ladders. We did just fine on the 30 footer, just fine.
Mesa Verde is a fascinating place. We learned all about Kiva's and Sipapu's and got a feel for what life was like. I would have never made it in a culture where the klutzy don't survive.

This is Logan's "Steve" picture he took of Delicate Arch. (Our friend Steve is always posting these cool, artistic pictures on his blog).

6 More things to read:

Anisa said...

Looks like you had lots of fun. Happy Anniversary!

Lucashell said...

What a cool trip. Looks like you guys had a great anniversary!

Mrs Buchanan said...

Mesa Verde is an awesome place. I got a little shaky on that 30 foot ladder. Isn't Durango a cool little town. I think Libby wants to move there. Looks like your trip was awesome!

Moe said...

Looks so fun! K, I was laughing so hard at that video of you on the tube! So funny!!! I think I'll watch it again.

DeLange said...

Remember when Mom, Katie, you and I went to Mesa Verde? I hiked the trails with you on my back and still beat Katie to the top. AHH ! Good memories!!!

The Busey Family said...

So pretty. Happy anniversary. I love the pictures too!