Friday, September 9, 2016

Stitches

It was bound to happen eventually, just not how or to whom I always imagined.

So, do you remember that cute little school bag Chapter and I made?  Apparently while making it, my rotary cutter caught his eye.  I talked to him while we were using it about how it is a mommy tool and it will hurt you and how I have cut myself with it a bunch of times.  I keep it on a high shelf in a room Chap isn't supposed to go in alone.  I thought I was safe.  But one evening, while Logan was out on a test drive trying to sell our Escape, Chap was playing in his tee-pee.  In hindsight I really should have known something was up, the kid never plays in his tee-pee.  Anyway, Merit ran into the tee-pee and about 5 seconds later started to cry.  It wasn't a scary cry, just a normal cry, like she bumped her head, or wanted a toy Chapter was playing with.  So I called to her and told her to come to mommy.  So she ran all the way across the downstairs family room to me and I picked her up and and started asking her if she bumped somewhere.  About 5 seconds later I noticed blood on her foot so I took her into the bathroom.  I washed one foot, no cut.  It was then that I discovered blood gushing from her other foot.  I ran it under the water and immediately realized this was more than a band-aid injury.  I grabbed a bath towel (the hand towels were no where to be found) and wrapped her up and went upstairs to call Logan.  I told him we were headed to the instacare.  I was remarkably calm, and looking back, I am impressed with myself, haha.  I loaded kids in the car and when we got to the corner we saw Logan and he jumped in and came with us.

The receptionist at instacare told us it would be 30 minutes.  I was about to go all momma bear on her, but we had just had a stake conference and the stake president talked about being patient and nice to people who were working at stores, etc.  Luckily, it was probably only 5 minutes.  When the nice old lady nurse started checking to see if her toes worked or if there had been severed tendons I started to panic a little.  That had never even crossed my mind.  Luckily, it was fine.  They took us back into the procedure room and a nice curly haired doctor came in.  Not once did I feel like they were judging me or thinking I was a bad mom (I was doing enough of that myself, thank you very much).  This was honestly the best instacare experience I have ever had.  Usually I feel like I pay the outrageous copay only to be treated like scum, told that I'm stupid and sent home to take some Advil.  It was a little traumatizing, but 7 stitches later we went home, with instructions too keep her off of it for 2 days (that was fun) and to come back in 2 weeks for suture removal.


 First day, I should have taken the picture after I cleaned it up.


 Above and below are the day we took the stitches out 3 days early.  Her body started to get really irritated by the stitches so they opted to remove them early.  She was such a little champ and sat up like a big girl to get her stitches out.  She didn't cry or whine, she just said "tickle tickle", haha.

And here we are this morning, almost 3 weeks out.  Looking good, and feeling much better.  Looking back it wasn't too bad, the worst was definitely the no walking for 2 days and not wearing shoes for so many days.  Just glad that she's okay.  I'm still suffering from a little mommy guilt, but oh well. 

0 More things to read: