
I knew something was up the first time I tried to give her yogurt. Everywhere it touched her face she got a red bumpy rash. I didn't really think much about it until she got closer to a year and she tried a little ranch dressing, a little frozen yogurt, a little milk. Each thing had the same reaction. So we bought some goat milk. Same thing. I finally mentioned it to my doctor at her one year appointment and he referred us to an allergist. A lady from our ward actually works there, so that was nice. They did what they called an "infant panel" of tests, testing for Dairy, Egg, Nuts, and Soy. The dairy wasn't really a surprise, but the eggs were. They actually recommended that we feed her small amounts of milk and egg baked into muffins as sort of an immunization for her allergies. Apparently baking the proteins change them enough to make them less reactive. So far on our journey we have discovered that chocolate almond milk is tasty. Vanilla Coconut milk is AMAZING! And Vegan ranch dressing is actually pretty nasty, and so is rice based ice cream. (I have some egg free, dairy free mayo that we haven't tried yet). I've also discovered that it is very difficult for me to cook without butter:( You really don't realize all the things that contain milk and eggs until you can't have them anymore! We are very hopeful this will be a short lived childhood allergy that she'll only have to deal with for a year or two. Poor kid, no frosting, no cheese, no milkshakes.
0 More things to read:
Post a Comment