Sunday, July 4, 2010

Coyote Gulch Over-nighter


Sydney and I completed our first over night backpacking trip together. We went to Coyote Gulch which is 50 miles southeast of Escalante.
As you can see, we brought along our two hoodlum children Cash and Adam who made the trip much more entertaining.



We basically did the same hike we did a few years ago (before Sydney) only we hiked the distance between the two trailheads. It was nice weather, except we had to drink hot water some of the time. We did eventually find some nice cool springs to filter water from.


This is Sydney and I climbing out of the canyon up the slick rock near Jacob Hamblin Arch (please note that this is the only portion of the journey that Sydney didn't carry her pack).

We do not recommend taking water shoes on this trip even though the majority of the hike is in a river canyon, there is an excessive amount of sand that will get in you shoes and rub your toes into ginormous blisters as evidenced below. We recommend a good pair of shoes that will keep the sand out. Bare foot doesn't work either just ask Adam.

4 More things to read:

Mrs Buchanan said...

I bet Adam made things entertaining. He's got so much energy and is all over the place. Did he happen to have any near death experiences this time?

Lib-Dawg said...

Looks like a TON of fun! I'm so jealous I couldn't come! Thanks Sydney for inviting me though. Glad you all had fun and stayed safe. Love the pictures! :) :) :)

Lucashell said...

I love coyote gulch I love backpacking I can't wait til my kids are older so I can start going again... I am sure Sydney was braver than me climbing out I cried cause I am afraid of heights...

Anisa said...

You guys are so ambitious!!! Sounds like fun!!!