Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Stair Transformation!

We finally scraped the asbestos popcorn ceiling off of our stairs, well, Logan did at least:)

First we taped an absurdly large amount of plastic to the stairs to prevent popcorn spillage.

Then we brought in a plank. This is why I did very little to help with this project.


Then we sprayed the popcorn with water since asbestos is dangerous in dusty airborne form, and scraped it off. No pictures of the texturing. Sorry, but it was a messy procedure too.

Then we painted, but it looked bare. So we decided we needed art. But art is expensive, and we couldn't agree on what to get. Logan wanted modern and colorful, all I wanted was simple and earthy. So we compromised and it was cheaper.


He got modern and colorful, I got simple. And the best part is that we made it ourselves. We bought canvases from Michael's with a 40% off coupon, and used masking tape and some paint testers from Home Depot.

Total: $24. Way cheaper than anything either of us wanted at the store.

5 More things to read:

Anisa said...

Holy cow... you posted a bunch of stuff.

I love the modern art. Just FYI, I saw a post on Pinterest where you use shoe box lids instead of canvas... way cheap... but you couldn't get them that size and square.

I kind of miss that snake... he was really cool to watch.

Lucashell said...

Ya I would have been no help that looked so freaking scary.. Im so glad you are pulling the house out of the 70s and making it look new...

I love love love the art work I may steal your idea that way awesome looking...

brittney said...

Cute! I saw that on pinterest the other day and loved it! I am so ready to move so I can decorate my house:)

Lib-Dawg said...

Wow - you are really into blogging again. ;) I love the idea - I'm with Shellie and might have to steal this idea. I don't think I'll recognize the house if I ever come over. ;)

What's with the snake - kill it! I know, I know, you said if you pretend to like them people won't bug you, but seriously...snakes are no buena. :)

Logan and Sydney said...

Didn't you read that it was a good snake, and the size of a worm? AND actually pretty cute. And the only reason I blog is so I can print a book and not feel guilty for not scrapbooking:)