Merit's blessing day was special. Lots of family were able to make it and we made Gable House brownies for the refreshments. Now I'll share a little about Merit's dress and name.
Her dress was made by my paternal grandmother Ilean Holm in the early 1990s. When she started getting great grandchildren she realized that she wouldn't be alive or at least still sewing like a crazy person when they all were born. So she made each of us a blessing dress to use when we blessed the daughters we may someday have in the future. My grandma died when I was 16, but I've had it with me and carried it from move to move waiting for the day when my someday daughter would be able to wear it. She was super duper slippery in it but she didn't fall and it was very special for me to be able to use this dress.
Merit's name: We were laying in bed one night before we even knew she was a girl, making fun of a name that rhymes with Merit (I'm not disclosing that name to protect the guilty:) when Logan came up with the name Merit. After that night, she never had any other name. There was never another name discussion from that point on. Interesting fact: If she had been a boy she would have been named Tushar after the mountain range I grew up near. Eliza is a name we love that happens to be in the ancestry of both sides of the family (just like Chapter's middle name of Frederick) so that worked out nicely. On my side of the family it was my Great Great Grandmother Eliza Ann Watts Gardiner who was an early convert to the church in England. On Logan's side it was after Rosena Eliza Blickenstorfer Gubler Blake, Logan's Great Grandmother. She was a very interesting lady who was born to Santa Clara Swiss pioneers.
I love that our children have unusual first names that are all their own and a middle name with the rich legacy of their pioneer ancestors.
0 More things to read:
Post a Comment