I woke up Sunday, March 29 not feeling well. I had worn myself out the day before playing all day in the sun and planting the garden. I didn't really think much of it. I was still 1 1/2 weeks from my due date and I was planning on nothing short of 2 weeks until baby. In fact, I had been procrastinating a lot of things that I needed to get done before the baby was born.
We went to church at 1:00. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone if it wasn't my turn to teach combined Young Women and if I hadn't put 2-3 hours of prep into my lesson. During Sacrament Meeting I noticed small contractions about 7ish minutes apart. At the end of Sacrament Meeting I told Logan that I thought I was having a baby, but I wasn't really serious. We dropped Chap off at nursery and then headed to Sunday School. The Sunday School room was HOT. Unbearably hot. My contractions were getting slightly stronger at that point but I was still in denial. At end of Sunday School I went to the bathroom because it was so hot that I thought I was going to die. I was planning on telling Sherry that I couldn't teach but as I left the bathroom I ran into her in the hall and when she asked if I was ready for my lesson I smiled and said yes.
I must have been blessed for teaching my lesson, because I swear I only had maybe 4 contractions the whole time I was teaching and although they were getting pretty painful, I was able to manage it without anyone knowing I was in labor. And to be honest, I was still pretty deeply in denial.
After church I had convinced myself that it was false labor, after all, I had only had 4 contractions in one hour. But almost immediately after getting home I was hit by a steamroller of almost constant contractions that were immensely painful. At probably 4:30-4:45 Logan called Anisa to come get Chapter. She was riding her bike to her mother-in-laws house and had to go back to get her car. I felt really bad not saying goodbye to Chapter, but I was having a hard time coping with the pain and I really thought I'd be sent home within an hour. But we packed him a bag and handed him off.
Before we left Logan gave me a blessing, he blessed me with peace and strength and that really should have been a clue of what was to come. Logan drove us to the hospital and it was very reminiscent of going to the hospital with Chapter.
We walked into reception and apparently I looked pretty bad because they didn't even take me to triage, they just took me to a room. When they told me I was at a 7 I panicked. I started demanding pain medication and the grumpy nurse I had wasn't very nice or understanding. They started pulling the baby stuff out of the closet and I told them to stop. That nothing was going to happen until I had had my epidural. But of course you can't have one until you have had a bag of IV fluids. I was not happy. Logan later told me that I was mean to the nurses. Then shift change happened and an adorable sweet nurse that looked just like a grown up Legacy came in. She told me that the new anesthesiologist was just coming on duty and that she had people waiting at the door for him and that he wouldn't even change into scrubs, he would come straight to me.
He did, but it seemed to take forever for him to get the epidural in, and I was having a really hard time holding still while he did it. Things started to feel really funny and I was legitimately freaking out at this point. Basically right after the epidural was in, my water broke all over someone's shoes. There were people everywhere, but all I really remember was the doctor, Logan and the nurse who looked like Legacy. And an old lady nurse who wanted me to push before the drugs kicked in. Which I pretty much ended up doing because my body started pushing and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I think the drugs may have been working slightly at that point, but I was still freaking out and my Legacy nurse was AWESOME. Literally one push and our sweet Merit was born at 6:33. weighing 6 pounds and 12 ounces, much smaller than Chap was.
It was at this point that we realized the camera was still in the car, so no cute scale picture of Merit. Logan was amazing the entire time, he was so calm, weirdly calm and him rubbing my head was so comforting and helped so much. I would never choose to have a baby under such circumstances, but I have to admit that recovery was much better not having been hooked up to drugs for 8 hours. I could walk almost immediately and I felt so much better than I did after having Chapter.
MMM...Turkey sandwich and Oreo shake!
Meeting big Brother Chap.

0 More things to read:
Post a Comment